A Healthy rendition of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana- less unwanted fats, more protein, and a wonderful dose of healthy vegetable with cauliflower as the secret ingredient to a creamy, delicious soup on a cold day!
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut or olive oil
- 5 C. Chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 1 C. Whole Milk
- 1 Head, cauliflower, rinsed, stem removed and broken into florets
- 6 Medium yellow or red potatoes, diced in medium-sized chunks
- 1 Bunch of Kale, rinsed and leaves removed from stems
- 1 Pkg. Organic Chicken sausage- Nitrate free (4 sausages)
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced (or substitute 2 tsp. Garlic powder)
- 1 ½ tsp. Natural sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot on medium heat, add oil. When heated, add garlic and onion, and cover, sauteeing only a couple of minutes, or until onion is softened. Be careful not to let the garlic burn! Add sausage and simmer, cover again for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until sausage is heated through. Roughly tear kale leaves and add kale and potatoes, and 1 c, broth. Stir, and cover again allowing kale and potatoes to soften, about 5-10 minutes. Add remaining broth, salt and pepper, and return to a simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft to the prick of a fork.
- While soup is simmering, in a separate pot, add 1 cup water, and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower, and steam for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and using an immersion blender, or separate blender, blend cauliflower and 1 c. milk until combined and smooth.
- Remove soup from heat. Combine cauliflower puree and soup, stirring until combined, and heated through.
- Serve with a side salad or breadsticks, and you have a delicious, Italian-style meal for a cold day!
- I have doubled this recipe for you, so take your remaining soup. Pour it into a Ziploc Bag, and freeze it for another meal! Busy night dinner plans? Done and Done!